OAKE National Conference Choirs
Children’s, Youth, Concert Women’s & Chamber Ensemble
Registration Information for Families
Congratulations on your child’s acceptance into the 2019 OAKE National Conference Choirs! As a participant, your child will represent their choir, school, city and state in Columbus, Ohio. Student singers will participate in a rigorous 4-day rehearsal schedule, culminating in a final performance at the Mershon Auditorium at the Wexner Center on Saturday, March 23, 2019. These four ensembles are part of our National Conference for music educators. Note that the choir participation dates are March 20 – 23, which are one day offset from our National Conference dates, March 21 – 24.
The Conference Choirs menu is your primary source of information. You may also explore the National Conference menu to learn about educators’ experience but please note: Teachers have a different registration process and timeline than choirs, so please look in the Conference Choirs menu for important info pertaining to your family.
While it is not a requirement that you (the parent) accompany your child on this trip, for the safety and security of all students your child must be chaperoned at all times while not in a scheduled rehearsal by either a parent, grandparent, relative over the age of 21, teacher or other designated chaperone. OAKE requires all choir members and chaperones residing outside of the conference city to stay in the designated conference hotel. You and your family will have free time to explore the host city and there will even be a handful of conference sessions choir parents will have the option of attending. We invite a variety of exhibitors of interest to educators and choir families, so please do visit them as well.
Tentative Schedule for Arrival Day
Wednesday, March 20, 2019
2:00 – 4:00 pm Choir Check-In (location TBA)
4:00 – 5:45 pm Free time/dinner (on your own)
5:45 – 6:15 pm Welcome and Orientation – Meet your Conductor and Choir Chairs! (Required attendance for all singers and parents)
6:00 – 6:15 pm Parent information meeting
6:30 – (TBD) First rehearsal begins
Parents may attend all rehearsals except the dress rehearsal and may attend the Thursday evening opening ceremonies as long as there is enough room. A more detailed choir schedule will be released in February preceding the conference and everyone will receive a Welcome Packet on Check-In day containing maps, schedules, safety information and information on local area attractions and coupons.
Rehearsal and Concert Attire
Rehearsal attire: Dress during rehearsals is casual.
Concert attire for Children’s AND Youth Choir:
- Girls – black skirt or black dress pants (try to have the length of skirt be in the middle of the knee cap) and long-sleeved, white blouse with a collar (worn tucked in), black tights or hose if wearing a skirt, black socks if wearing dress pants, and black dress shoes.
- Boys – black dress pants, black belt, white long-sleeved dress shirt with a collar (worn tucked in), black socks and black dress shoes.
Concert attire for Concert Women’s Choir AND Chamber Ensemble:
- Girls – concert dress (modest floor length black dress) with neutral hose and black dress shoes; or black dress pants (tight fitting pants and jeans are not acceptable), nice black top, neutral color hose, and black dress shoes. No necklaces.
- Boys – black suit or sport coat with black dress pants, white long-sleeved dress shirt with a collar (worn tucked in), a long dark tie (no bowties), black socks, and black dress shoes.
If necessary, appropriate and reasonably-priced concert attire can be purchased through Stage Accents.
National Conference Choirs Concert
Mershon Auditorium at the Wexner Center
7:00 PM | Saturday, March 23, 2019
Each choir student receives two (2) complimentary tickets to the National Conference Choirs Concert; if you have more than one child participating, he or she will receive two (2) complimentary tickets. These tickets will be distributed during Choir Check-In.
- Parents also have an opportunity to pre-purchase additional concert tickets online using the Choir Order Form between now and January 15, 2019. No tickets will be sold between January 16 and March 20 (Choir Check-in Day).
- Concert tickets will be sold on Choir Check-In Day (Wednesday, March 20, 2019), as well as Thursday through Saturday, March 21 – 23 at the OAKE booth located in the General Conference Registration area (subject to availability)
- Shuttle busses are provided for singers to and from the concert.
- Families have the option to purchase round-trip shuttle bus tickets for $15 or find their own transportation three miles to the performance hall.
Choir Order Form
In addition to being able to pre-purchase additional choir tickets, the Choir Order Form allows you to purchase:
- Advertisements: A way to show your children how enthusiastically you support their effort is to purchase an advertisement with a custom message. These messages will be printed in the concert choir program booklet given out at the final choir concert and are sure to be a keepsake. With a range of sizes and graphics to choose from, we are certain you will find a creative way to make your child feel special!
- Family T-shirts: Each singer receives a complimentary T-shirt as part of registration, but we are also happy to offer OAKE T-shirts to family members of choir singers. Proceeds from Choir t-Shirt sales will benefit the OAKE National Choir Scholarship Fund which provides full and partial scholarships for students to participate in the OAKE National Choirs experience. Thank you for your support. Shirts will be distributed during Choir Check-In day.
- Shuttle Bus tickets to the Saturday Concert Venue: You may purchase round-trip bus tickets in advance or on-site.
Please check our Choir FAQ for Frequently Asked Questions by teachers, parents and students.
If you need further assistance, please feel free to Contact Us.