Middle and Upper School Choral Director and Music Teacher
Spence’s Performing Arts Department seeks an accomplished and visionary educator to join the school’s music program. Understanding the importance, nature, scope, and impact of our events and performances within the community, the Music Teacher will work with fellow Performing Arts colleagues to fulfill our mission of nurturing imagination and self-expression in a collaborative environment. We believe that active participation in and exposure to the arts expands horizons and encourages tolerance in our students, enhancing their lives both at Spence and beyond.
● Conduct two Middle School Choruses
● Conduct the Upper School Select Choir and Glee Club
● Serve as an Advisor to Triple Trio, the student-run acapella group
● Coordinate all logistics for two off site choral performances per year
● Coordinate all logistics around the music component of the Performing Arts Guest Artist Series
● Organize and lead performances for various school events throughout the year
● Work as part of a larger team of music teachers across divisions to coordinate and implement curricula
● Teach one Middle School general music course
Qualifications: ● Possesses sustained experience directing a choral program and teaching secondary school ● Finds joy in working with children and in school life ● Approaches work with optimism, energy, kindness, and a sense of humor ● Demonstrates cultural competency and skills engaging with and learning from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences ● Supports Spence’s commitment to equity ● Has excellent organizational and communication skills. ● Possesses the ability to work across departmental lines, fostering collaboration and cooperation amongst faculty, staff, and administration ● Has strong written and verbal communication skills ● Has an advanced degree or equivalent experience
How to Apply
Spence is committed to an equitable program and a diverse faculty and student body. We therefore actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds. Applicants should email cover letter and resume as a single file in PDF format—please include the applicant’s name in the file name—to firstname.lastname@example.org (no phone calls, please).