OAKE National Conference Choirs
Registration Information for Families
Notifications for our 2022 National Choir auditions have been sent. Congratulations to the accepted singers of the 2022 OAKE National Conference Choirs! As a participant, honor choir singers will represent their choir, school, city and state in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Student singers will participate in a rigorous 4-day rehearsal schedule March 2 – 5, 2022 (Wed – Sat), culminating in a final performance the evening of Saturday March 5, 2022. These ensembles are part of our national conference for music educators. Note that the choir participation dates are March 2 – 5 which are one day offset from our national conference (teacher) dates, March 3 – 6.
The Conference Choirs menu is your primary source of information. You may also explore the National Conference menu to learn about educators’ experience but please note teachers have a different registration process and timeline than choirs, so please look in the Conference Choirs menu for important info pertaining to your family.
REQUIRED: Health Precautions at the 2022 OAKE National Conference
Along with other arts organizations, OAKE is using the Bindle app to efficiently and privately manage health verification of conference participants. Our hope is by providing this baseline of assurance, it helps everyone at the OAKE conference enjoy getting back together as a community and making music. For more information, please reference the Covid and Reimbursement Policy Page. More details about using the Bindle app will be shared soon.
While it is not a requirement that you (the parent) accompany your child on this trip, for the safety and security of all students your child must be chaperoned at all times while not in a scheduled rehearsal by either a parent, grandparent, relative over the age of 21, teacher, or other designated chaperone. OAKE requires all choir members and chaperones residing outside of the conference city to stay in the designated conference hotel. You and your family will have free time to explore the host city and there will even be a handful of conference sessions choir families may attend if they’d like. We invite a variety of exhibitors of interest to educators and choir families, so please do visit them as well.
Resources for Learning Your Music
You will be working hard with your teacher over the coming months to learn and memorize music. You’ll soon receive an email update when part assignments, rehearsal tracks, pronunciation guides, conductors’ notes, etc are available here on the choir website.
Tentative Schedule for Arrival Day
Wednesday, March 2, 2022
2:00 – 4:00 pm Choir Check-In (location TBA)
4:00 – 5:45 pm Free time/dinner (on your own)
5:45 – 6:15 pm Welcome and Orientation – Meet your Conductor and Choir Chairs! ***
***(Required attendance for all singers and parents)
6:00 – 6:15 pm Parent Information Meeting
6:30 – (TBD) First Rehearsal Begins
Rehearsal attendance is limited. Please see the COVID and Reimbursement Policies page for detailed information about who can attend rehearsals. A more detailed choir schedule will be released in February preceding the conference and everyone will receive a Welcome Packet on Wednesday Check-In Day containing maps, schedules, safety information and information on local area attractions.
Rehearsal and Concert Attire
- Dress during rehearsals is casual.
Children’s and Youth Choirs
- Long-sleeved, white dress shirt/blouse with a collar (worn tucked in)
- Black dress pants or skirt (try to have the length of skirt be in the middle of the knee cap)
- Black tights or hose, if wearing a skirt
- Black socks and black belt, if wearing pants
- Black dress shoes
Concert Treble and Chamber Choirs (select the option most appropriate for you):
- Concert dress (modest floor length black dress) with neutral hose and black dress shoes. No necklaces.
- OR black dress pants (tight fitting pants/leggings and jeans are not acceptable), nice black top, neutral color hose, and black dress shoes.
- OR black suit or sport coat with black dress pants, white long-sleeved dress shirt with a collar (worn tucked in), a long dark tie (no bowties), black socks, and black dress shoes.
Concert and Ticket Information
NATIONAL CONFERENCE CHOIRS CONCERTS
SATURDAY MARCH 5, 2022, The Westin Pittsburgh
This year there will be two OAKE National Choir concerts Saturday featuring two ensembles per performance.
Concert 1: Children’s Choir, Concert Treble Choir, 5:00 – 6:10 pm
Concert 2: Youth Treble Choir, Chamber Choir, 7:15 – 8:30 pm
See your acceptance email to confirm in which choir your singer will perform.
NOTE for 2022:
- Each singer will automatically receive two tickets for family members to attend their concert. Tickets will be distributed with your singer’s registration packet at Choir Check-in.
- Shuttle busses are not needed this year as the concerts will take place at the hotel conference center.
Choir Order Form
- Additional Concert Tickets: There will be an opportunity to reserve three additional tickets beyond the two automatically provided.
- Choir Program Advertisements: Choir Program Advertisements are a way to show your children how enthusiastically you support their efforts with a custom message. These messages will be printed in the concert choir program booklet given out at the final choir concert and are sure to be a keepsake. With a range of sizes and graphics to choose from, we are certain you will find a creative way to make your child feel special!
- Family T-shirts: Each singer receives a complimentary T-shirt as part of registration, but we are also happy to offer OAKE T-shirts to family members of choir singers. Thank you for your support. Shirts will be distributed during Choir Check-In day.
Conference Hotel and Travel
The Westin Pittsburgh hosts our reserved sleeping rooms, meeting, and rehearsal space. Choir families and attendees will have excellent access to all aspects of the conference.
Visit the Hotel and Travel page for hotel booking deadline and other info to plan your trip! There is a very affordable bus from the airport as well as many other transportation options.
Please check our Choir FAQ for Frequently Asked Questions by teachers, parents and students.
If you need further assistance, please feel free to Contact Us.