OAKE National Conference Choirs
Registration Information for Families
Congratulations on your singer’s acceptance into the 2023 OAKE National Conference Choirs! As a participant, your child will represent their choir, school, city and state in Jacksonville, FL. Student singers will participate in a rigorous 4-day rehearsal schedule March 15 – 18, 2023 (Wed – Sat), culminating in a final performance the evening of Saturday March 18, 2023. These ensembles are part of our national conference for music educators. Note that the choir participation dates are one day offset from our national conference (teacher) dates.
The Conference Choirs menu is your primary source of information. You may also explore the National Conference menu to learn about educators’ experience, but please note teachers have a different registration process and timeline than choirs, so please look in the Conference Choirs menu for important info pertaining to your family.
While it is not a requirement that you (the parent) accompany your child on this trip, for the safety and security of all students your child must be chaperoned at all times while not in a scheduled rehearsal by either a parent, grandparent, relative over the age of 21, teacher, or other designated chaperone. OAKE requires all choir members and chaperones residing outside of the conference city to stay in the designated conference hotel. You and your family will have free time to explore the host city and there will even be a handful of conference sessions choir families may attend if they’d like. We invite a variety of exhibitors of interest to educators and choir families, so please do visit them as well.
Resources for Learning Your Music
You will be working hard with your teacher over the coming months to learn and memorize music. You’ll soon receive an email update when part assignments, rehearsal tracks, pronunciation guides, conductors’ notes, etc, are available here on the choir website.
Tentative Schedule for Arrival Day
Wednesday, March 15, 2023
2:00 – 4:00 pm Choir Check-In (location TBA)
4:00 – 5:45 pm Free time/dinner (on your own)
5:45 – 6:15 pm Welcome and Orientation – Meet your Conductor and Choir Chairs, then begin your first rehearsal! ***
***(Required attendance for all singers and parents)
Families may attend all rehearsals except the dress rehearsal and may attend the Thursday evening conference opening ceremonies and concert. A more detailed choir schedule will be released in February preceding the conference and everyone will receive a Welcome Packet on Wednesday Check-In Day containing maps, schedules, safety information and information on local area attractions.
Rehearsal and Concert Attire
Rehearsal Attire: Dress during rehearsals is casual.
Children’s and Youth Choirs
- Long-sleeved, white dress shirt/blouse with a collar (worn tucked in)
- Black dress pants or skirt (try to have the length of skirt be in the middle of the knee cap)
- Black tights or hose, if wearing a skirt
- Black socks and black belt, if wearing pants
- Black dress shoes
Concert Treble and Chamber Choirs (select the option most appropriate for you):
- Concert dress (modest floor length black dress) with neutral hose and black dress shoes. No necklaces.
- OR black dress pants (tight fitting pants/leggings and jeans are not acceptable), nice black top, neutral color hose, and black dress shoes.
- OR black suit or sport coat with black dress pants, white long-sleeved dress shirt with a collar (worn tucked in), a long dark tie (no bowties), black socks, and black dress shoes.
Concert and Ticket Information
NATIONAL CONFERENCE CHOIRS CONCERTS
SATURDAY MARCH 18, 2023, The Florida Theatre
128 East Forsyth Street, Suite 300, Jacksonville, FL. 32202
This year there will be two OAKE National Choir concerts Saturday featuring two ensembles per performance.
Concert #1, 6:00 pm Start Time: Children’s Choir, Concert Treble Choir
Concert #2, 7:45 pm Start Time: Youth Treble Choir, Chamber Choir
See your acceptance email to confirm in which choir your singer will perform.
NOTES for 2023:
- There is no charge for concert tickets and we anticipate plenty of seating for all who wish to attend, including teachers, extended families, and singers from the other choirs (schedule-permitting). After registration closes and ensemble sizes are known, we will be able to finalize plans and provide more details.
- Shuttle busses are not needed this year as the concerts will take place within walking distance of the hotel.
- For any patrons needing accessible seating for a wheelchair, please contact Justin MacCulley at email@example.com
before Sat, Mar 11 (a week prior to the concert). Please know accessibility seating is limited and on a first come first serve basis. Accommodation for a wheelchair will mean that a physical seat will not be there and the patron will have to stay in the wheelchair for the duration of the performance.
Extras Order Form (Jan 15 deadline)
- Choir Program Advertisements: Choir Program Advertisements are a way to show your children how enthusiastically you support their efforts with a custom message. These messages will be printed in the concert choir program booklet given out at the final choir concert and are sure to be a keepsake. With a range of sizes and graphics to choose from, we are certain you will find a creative way to make your child feel special!
- Family T-shirts: Each singer receives a complimentary T-shirt as part of registration, but we are also happy to offer OAKE T-shirts to family members of choir singers. Thank you for your support. Shirts will be distributed during Choir Check-In day.
- Choir ticket reservations are not needed this year!
Conference Hotel and Travel
The Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront hosts our reserved sleeping rooms, meeting, and rehearsal space. Choir families and attendees will have excellent access to all aspects of the conference.
Visit the Hotel and Travel page for hotel booking deadline and other info to plan your trip! There is a very affordable bus from the airport as well as many other transportation options.
Please check our Choir FAQ for Frequently Asked Questions by teachers, parents and students.
If you need further assistance, please feel free to Contact Us.