The 2019 National Conference Committee is enthusiastically preparing for the 45th Annual OAKE National Conference to be held in Columbus, Ohio, March 21-24, 2019.
We invite you to join us as we celebrate 45 years of National Conferences!
Our theme for the 2019 Conference, “Heart and Hand, Mind and Ear: Kodály’s Musical Balance,” is inspired by Kodály’s quote, from The Selected Writings of Zoltan Kodály:
The characteristics of a good musician can be summarized as follows:
1. A well-trained ear
2. A well-trained intelligence
3. A well-trained heart
4. A well-trained hand.
All four must develop together, in constant equilibrium
We invite you to share your expertise about ear training, pedagogy, building relationships with students, conducting, and more, fostering quality music education for all! Please submit proposals for demonstrations, performances, sessions, and/or papers that relate to this theme and demonstrate how we can expand these four aspects to develop complete musicians. Proposed topics include but are not limited to: musicianship, pedagogy, and literacy; choral and instrumental applications; music from other cultures; special education applications; brain and cognitive development; vocology; elementary, middle school, high school, and beyond. This year, we also invite OAKE members to submit their names for consideration to lead sessions that are offered annually at each conference, such as the “Introduction to Kodály” Choir Parent session, Choral reading session, and Morning Sing.
|SUBMIT A PROPOSAL||ACCEPTANCE AGREEMENT FORMS|
Research Poster Session Proposals | Deadline October 15
- The deadline to submit session, demonstration, and performance proposals was May 15
- OAKE will not accommodate changes to session titles, or the addition of presenters after a proposal has been accepted.
- Registration for the conference is required and is the responsibility of the presenter.
- OAKE cannot assume any financial responsibility for travel, food, or lodging for participating presenters.
- Submission of this application is an indication that the presenter referenced is prepared to travel to and present at the OAKE Conference, if accepted.
- Due to very specific scheduling criteria, OAKE cannot promise scheduling on any particular day.
- Presenters may be assigned a session ranging from 45 minutes to 75 minutes. Scheduling will be determined by the National Program Team.
- All presenters are now REQUIRED to have presented at the local, state, regional, and/or national level before submitting a proposal to present at the OAKE National Conference.
- Members of the local conference programming team are not eligible to submit proposals for their conference.
- Please do not post news of your proposal status (whether accepted or rejected) to any social media platforms until OAKE makes its announcement public in early October. This allows time for all of our selected presenters to confirm their participation and allows time to select alternate sessions in the event that an accepted presenter can no longer participate.
Important Contacts and FAQ
Scheduling concerns and inquiries should be addressed to the National Conference Business Director, Nancy Johnson. OAKE typically releases the final conference schedule in mid-February preceding the conference.
Equipment inquiries should be addressed to the Equipment Coordinator, Nick Mercier.
Materials Upload inquiries (pictures, biographies, agreements, handouts) should be addressed to the Administrative Coordinator, Colleen Graves.