Dear OAKE Members and Colleagues,
The 2022 National Conference Committee is enthusiastically preparing for the 48th Annual OAKE National Conference to be held in Pittsburgh, PA, March 3-6, 2022. We invite you to join us as we celebrate 48 years of national conferences!
Our theme for the 2022 conference, “Building Bridges to Strengthen Us,” is inspired by the many beautiful bridges of Pittsburgh, as well as a stronger desire than ever to unite us all through music and song, following the teachings of Zoltan Kodály.
We invite you to share your expertise and submit proposals for sessions, demonstrations, and/or papers that relate to the following:
- Building bridges across CULTURES: Sessions in this category should feature diverse repertoire, diverse ensembles/techniques (ex: Taiko drumming), and culture-bearers.
- Strengthening MUSICAL LITERACY and KODÁLY PRACTICES: Sessions in this category should focus on ways to build literacy and the basic tenets of a Kodály-inspired classroom.
- Building bridges for ANTI-RACISM and ANTI-BIAS: Sessions in this category should build upon Culturally-Responsive teaching, cultural competency/understanding, LGBTQ+, and gender considerations.
- Bridging Kodály with TECHNOLOGY: Sessions in this category should feature digital platforms, tools, apps, and 1:1 devices, such as Chromebooks and iPads.
- Building new bridges to CLASSROOM INNOVATION: Sessions in this category may showcase Project-Based Learning, STEAM, centers/stations, student-centered learning/choice, and blending pedagogies (Orff, Dalcroze, etc.).
- Strengthening PERSONAL MUSICIANSHIP: Sessions in this category should grow the musicianship skills of both new and/or experienced Kodály teachers.
Performances, morning sing, choral reading sessions, and community dance events will be selected by the conference committee.
Thank you for all that you do to further Kodály’s philosophy, and to educate and inspire children every day!
Rebecca Juarez, Aileen Miracle and Elizabeth Maughan,
OAKE Conference Chairs
All proposal forms for the 2022 OAKE National Conference must be submitted online by May 1, 2021