Thank you for your interest in the 2022 OAKE National Conference Choirs to be held March 2 – 5, 2022 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. These choirs are OAKE in action! They’re a source of pride and inspiration and we look forward to receiving your students’ auditions. We’re honored that you’re considering auditioning students and bringing them into an experience that many families want to repeat year after year.
Throughout the whole choir experience, the Choir Home Page and ‘Conference Choirs’ menu will be your “one stop shop” for the Master Timeline, recent updates, and other resources. Teachers, download the Audition Instructions below to get started!
Deadline for Auditions: November 1, 2021 (11:59 PM Pacific Time)
Help families understand their commitment before you audition their singer:
- Share that this is a powerful musical and educational experience
- There is a $26 audition fee which must be paid through Opus Events which is also where their audition application is Teachers/school can make the payment through Opus OR the teacher may send families a payment link through Opus.
- If accepted, the turnaround is very quick to register and pay the $300 registration fee. They might prepare now for the financial commitment of the choir fee this fall plus travel and hotel expenses in the spring. The expense of traveling with a singer plus family can be significant.
- Families must stay at the official conference hotel. In addition to the close proximity to rehearsals, these hotel reservations offset the cost of rehearsal space and other aspects of the choirs.
- Before auditioning, read the Family Brochure and confirm families can commit to the calendar and financial obligations, including travel and lodging. A student who is accepted and turns it down means another deserving singer has lost the opportunity.
- Notice the choir and professional conference dates are offset by one day. OAKE.org serves both.
- The OAKE National Conference Choirs Committee will take care of students during rehearsals only. Families or a designated chaperone must accompany them during all down-time, including meal breaks. The rehearsal schedule will be finalized in the weeks just prior to their trip.
Teachers, here are important things for you to know before auditions:
- Choir dates are Wednesday, March 2 – 5, offset from the professional conference March 3 – 6.
- For your singers to be eligible, you must meet all deadlines and follow directions.
- Your OAKE membership must remain active to have singers in the choirs.
- The website is the “one stop shop” for you and families to find OAKE Choirs info. It contains more details than this introductory packet. Find more at oake.org/choirs
- Some families may not receive our email for a variety of reasons. It’s important that you check in with them along the way and let us know immediately about any communication issues.
- There are a handful of partial scholarships to assist students singing the OAKE National Conference C We are looking for donors and opportunities to grow the scholarship fund.
- Memorization! Imagine what these directors can do when all singers are confident in their parts. HS choirs will have music checks to be sure singers are prepared.
- New – you’ll receive a password to access the rehearsal tracks and some notation
- Teachers must register and attend the conference.
- All teachers bringing singers must register in December although the Early Bird deadline is later.
- OAKE is comprised of 2.5 staff members and a slew of volunteers like you who together plan the entire conference and choirs. Your timeliness and attention to directions allows us to focus on creating a superb experience for you, singers, and families!