OPUS INSTRUCTIONS – FOR TEACHERS
Find all audition info in the Choir Menu. The following is a technical guide for teachers to manage student auditions through Opus.
STEP 1: Provide the Family Brochure to Collect Student Information
Download the Family Brochure found at oake.org/choirs. Be sure to include your contact information and deadline for families to commit and return the Student Info Form (last page of the brochure). If you print the brochure, we recommend also sharing it by email; families type in their information, email the form back to you, then you simply copy and paste into Opus. This helps avoid typos or deciphering handwriting and leads to better communication!
STEP 2: Create your own Opus account and add locations
Note: ONLY Teachers create Opus accounts. You will be able to send payment links to families or school personnel and they do not need Opus or OAKE accounts to make those payments.
- Create an account
Go to https://audition.opusevent.com/ to log in to your existing account or to create a new account. No need to associate any membership yet. All music packets will be mailed to the one address in the teacher’s User Profile. You can get back to your ‘User Profile’ by clicking your name in the top right corner.
- Click ‘Home’ to return to the main Opus page.
- In the search box enter “OAKE” and find the conference year. Click Select.
- Click Add a location where you work (you can add multiple locations in your one account). This is found right next to where it says “START HERE:”
- Click Select Location, then at the top of the drop-down menu click Add New Location. Complete information about your school/ private studio/ organization.
- If you have singers from multiple locations, use this field to add more locations.
- You are ready to begin student entries!
- Create an account
Through your profile you will be able to see all your student auditions and status. We hope this is helpful to you!
STEP 3: Enter students’ information in Opus
At any point you can create entries for your singers who’ve returned Student Info Forms. To start, click New Application. If families submitted fillable pdf forms, simply copy/paste their info into the online audition. Once these student entries are created, payment and recordings can be submitted. These can be done in either order – you can send payment links to families even prior to adding recordings.
There’s a new optional field. Especially if auditioning for TENOR or BASS: Please note if this student may be considered for another voice part (choose all that apply).
Please take care here! Check all student info in your Opus dashboard. Typos at this step cause missed communication, confusion, and misspellings in the concert program. We strongly recommend two email addresses per family so they receive OAKE emails even if one address has trouble with spam filters.
STEP 4: Audition Fee payment through Opus
- Payment and audition can be submitted in either order; both must be done by OAKE’s audition deadline.
- Pro Tip: add Student Info early and immediately send the link for payment. Then you have time to record auditions and follow up with any families that may still need a reminder.
- There’s flexibility for families, teacher, or school to pay. If families or school personnel are paying, teachers send them a pay link through the Opus dashboard. Select checkboxes of applicable students, then either “Pay” (if you’re paying) or “Email CC Pay link” (email to families or your school secretary/bookkeeper)
STEP 5: Record Auditions in mp3 format
Follow all directions in the Audition Guide for Teachers (downloaded from oake.org).
Save each student’s file to your computer. Dashes (-) and underscores (_) are accepted by the Opus system, but do not use apostrophes, quotation marks, or other symbols in your file names.
STEP 6: Complete the application / audition in Opus
- From your Opus dashboard, click the Student’s Name
- Enter any further student and family information (we highly recommend two family email addresses)
- Scroll to the bottom, on the right side of the Audio Track field, click “Upload.” If it fails, see troubleshooting tips below.
- Click Save and Close at the bottom of the screen.
- Repeat this process for each student.
- If a student’s application reads “missing uploads” please upload the mp3 or see troubleshooting below.
- Confirm all info is correct, payments are complete, and audio files attached. You may edit the applications until the audition deadline when they close.
Help, my audio file won’t upload! Troubleshooting Tips:
- Delete any special characters from the file name
- Confirm your file was exported as .mp3
- Strangely, some mp3 may need to be recoded – visit CloudConvert.com. Select convert > Audio > MP3 to MP3
- If still not working, email firstname.lastname@example.org. It may help to send your audio file and screenshots.
STEP 7: Teachers track status of each student through your Opus dashboard
To be considered complete, auditions must include by the deadline:
- Student Info (entered in Opus by teacher)
- $26 Audition fee (teacher sends paylink from Opus dashboard to whomever is paying)
- Mp3 audio file (uploaded in Opus by teacher)
Please stay in communication with your students’ families, reminding them to complete payment and then prepare for a quick turnaround to register and pay, should their singer be accepted.
STEP 8: “Stay tuned”
At the audition deadline, Opus will close while the Choir Committee hears auditions and assigns singers. When notifications are emailed to all families and teachers, Opus will reopen for accepted singers to register. Further info will be posted here. Find timelines, expenses, and more in the Choirs Menu at oake.org.
- If links are not clickable for families or teachers, contact Opus directly: email@example.com
- If your mp3 won’t upload, see Troubleshooting Tips: www.oake.org/choirs/auditions/
- For musical questions, contact the Choir Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For other questions, contact the OAKE office: email@example.com